Computer Science 3710
- February 28, 2003
- Due to demand, the deadline for Assignment #4 has been extended to
Monday at 23:59.
- February 27, 2003
- Added some additional hints for Assignment #4 (see the
bottom of the page). These hints are basically answers to some of the
more common questions that I have been receiving regarding the assignment.
- February 26, 2003
- I've e-mailed out the marks for Assignment #3. If you did not receive
them, please let me know.
- February 25, 2003
- I've rearranged my office hours a bit for this week (due to meetings,
conferences and lectures taking place during midterm break). I'll try to
be available in my office (EN-2031) on Wednesday from 11:00am to 1:00pm
and from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. I have a physiotherapy session Thursday
morning, so I won't be in my office until about 1:00pm or so. I'll try
to remain in the office until 5:00pm to answer any questions about
Assignment #4. I should be available most of the afternoon
on Friday, too.
- I've finished grading the midterm and the marks are now
available. In order to preserve some
anonymity, the last five digits of the student number are used to identify
each mark. I'll return and go over the midterm in class on Friday.
- February 20, 2003
- Minor addition to the requirement given below for Assignment #4
--- your code must compile cleanly with the
-Wall -ansi -pedantic
- Updated the requirements for Assignment #4 --- your code must
compile cleanly using g++ 3.2 on
kluge. Let me know if
you cannot access this machine.
- February 19, 2003
- To make up for the lost office hour yesterday, I'll be in my
office today from noon until class starts at 4:00pm. Tomorrow
(Thursday), I'll be extending my office hours from 1:00pm to 5:00pm to
answer any questions you may have about the midterm. Friday morning,
I start physiotherapy for my arm. I'm not sure how long it will take,
so if you have any questions, it would be best to ask them either today
or Thursday. The midterm will be going ahead as scheduled on Friday.
I'll make arrangements to have someone else invigilate the exam in the
(hopefully unlikely) event that I am not able to do so.
- February 18, 2003
- All students doing 3710 now have access to the machine
kluge, on which you can compile your C++ assignments using
a fairly recent (and more standard) compiler than what is currently
available on the other machines. Just type
ssh kluge to
log on to this machine. A couple of points: you cannot print from this
new machine and the default shell on this machine is
pdksh. If you cannot log on to this machine,
or have other problems, please let me know.
- I'll be at the hospital today for some follow-up x-rays on my arm,
so I will probably not be in today for my office hour. If things go well with
my checkup, I'll have extended office hours on Wednesday and Thursday
to answer questions related to Assignment #4 and/or the midterm.
- February 15, 2003
- I realized Friday night that I forgot to make the diary notes for
Friday's class accessible from the diary. This
problem has now been fixed.
- February 13, 2003
- Assignment #4 is now available (sorry
for the delay).
- I've heard back from all the people who will be writing
the midterm exam early. It will take place in EN-2031 at 3:00pm
on Monday. Only those who responded to my request below will
be writing the midterm at that time. Everyone else will be writing
it on Friday, the 21st.
- February 11, 2003
- Office hour today cancelled due to weather.
- The solutions to Assignment #3
are now available.
- Assignment #4 will be available shortly.
- With respect to the four students who wanted to write the midterm
on the 17th: I was thinking that instead of writing the exam during
class time, that it would be better if you wrote the exam during one
of my office hours (e.g. Monday at 3:00pm). Could those
four students please e-mail me and let me know if that would be
acceptable? The exam will be written in EN-2031 (there's enough room
for all four students in there).
- February 10, 2003
- We'll likely be deciding the date of the midterm in today's
class, so please try to attend if you have a strong feeling about the
date. When we tried to decide last week, it split almost evenly between
the 17th and the 21st of February.
- I've been in my office (EN-2031) since about 9:30am and I plan to
remain here until the start of class today. This should make up for
the office hours that I missed last week as well as the office hour
that I may miss tomorrow because of the approaching blizzard.
- February 7, 2003
- Due to the lack of office hours this week, I've given an extension to
Assignment #3. It is now due on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 23:59.
Assignment #4 should be available shortly thereafter. To make up for
the office hours that I missed due to my surgery, I'll try to be in my
office from about 10:00am to the start of class on Monday to answer any
questions you may have.
- I've e-mailed out the marks for Assignment #2. If you did not receive
them, please let me know.
- I've been getting e-mail regarding Assignment #3. Obviously, it
is not fair to expect you to complete it while I am unavailable to
answer your questions. We'll talk about the assignment in today's
- February 6, 2003
- I won't be able to make my office hour today, sorry. The surgery
went okay yesterday, but they recommended I stay at home for a while
and rest up. If you have any question regarding Assignment #3
or the course in general, please let me know via e-mail and I'll
get back to you. I'm going to try and make it in for class tomorrow.
Keep watching this web page for updates.
- February 4, 2003
- It turns out the today's visit to the hospital was for pre-admission,
not surgery. The actual surgery takes place on Wednesday, after all.
Because we managed to complete multifile compilation in one class (I
was expecting to spend maybe a class and a half on it), I've decided
to cancel class for this Wednesday (the 5th), and will finish up with
C on Friday. I should be back in on Thursday
to answer any questions you have on Assignment #3, provided there are no
- February 2, 2003
- I am still planning to hold a makeup class this Monday at 3:00pm
in room EN-2007. Because not all of you will be able to make it,
we will not be covering much new material; I plan to have a general
Q&A session. If that finishes early, then we'll go over
some of the answers to the first two assignments. Because one of my office
hours is the same time as this makeup class, you'll have to drop by EN-2007
if you wish to see me.
- February 1, 2003
- I've added a Restrictions section to Assignment #3
and also a Hints section which describes how to use
a debugger. This may help you fix the logical errors in the code after
you have fixed the compiler errors.
- The date of my arm surgery has been changed to Tuesday of next week.
As a result, I will not be in for my office hour on that day. If you
need help next week, your best option is to send me an e-mail so we can
arrange an appropriate time.
- I've made some modifications to the assignment due dates in the
diary. These are still subject to change.
- I've received a request to hold the midterm on February 17 instead
of February 21. The date of the midterm is still open for discussion.
If you have preference for a date other than the 21st, please
let me know.
- The solutions to Assignment #2
are now available.
- Assignment #3 is now available.
- Marks for Assignment #1 were e-mailed out yesterday. If you submitted
an assignment, but did not receive a mark, please let me know.
Last modified: Tue Mar 4 01:55:31 2003